Sunday, August 12, 2007
the packing game
I am surrounded by books and clothes and other miscellanea, and two open suitcases. I'm reminded of those silly games: how many grown men can you fit in a mini and still shut the doors? How many naked teenagers does it take to fill a shower (a game played with great gusto by many of my compatriots at The Abbey)? My predicament: How many books will fit in two suitcases? Of course, it's not that simple. No longer is packing a game of space. They changed the rules just as I got rather adept at condensing molecules. It was all in the rolling of clothes and the stuffing of socks in shoes and the final combination sitting-bouncing-zipping act. Now it's all about weight, which takes out all the skill (and the fun). Out come the bathroom scales, and a Norton Anthology is always the first to go. My usual argument that books are more important than clothes is made all too jarringly real this time: I'm heading over an ocean to do a PhD; I can't very well leave Barthes and Austen at home. It's a game of favourites, and it hurts my head.

Of course there's always the option of just wearing all my clothes on Tuesday...
 
posted by Anna at 8:04 PM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger lorinb79

    Considering how hot it is right now, I'd have to advise against wearing all your clothes to the Southern United States. You'd soon wish you were playing the naked teenagers in a shower game. Ah, and weren't those the days.

     
  • At 5:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    So which titles made the cut? Which didn't?