Sunday, July 30, 2006
bugs with wings
Last night we went to see Cars, the new Disney/Pixar movie. My expectations for some reason weren’t as high for this one as they have been in the past. Surely this wouldn’t be as good as Finding Nemo… I’m hardly a Nascar fan, and I’d read some really terrible reviews.


The reviewers obviously have no sense of humour.

It was great!

Any movie where the bugs flying around are tiny blue VW Beetles with wings has to be a hit with me. (Trying to figure out how to attach wings to my blue bug…)

The animation details were incredible. Watching Madagascar the other day was a let-down anyway, but next to Cars it looked like something a tenth-grade class worked up. Pixar get right down to the tiniest detail: light reflections on the paintwork of the cars, the crunching sound of wheels rolling slowly over gravel, etc. Among my other favourite details are the use of the wheels as 'feet' to add expression; the glittering paintwork McQueen receives at the end of the movie; and, of course, the clips at the end in which other Pixar movies are spoofed with cars (Toy Car Story; Monstertruck Inc.) And the Tractor Tipping was hillarious.

And what’s more, I didn’t think about my dissertation once during the entire movie. I came home with Route 66 in my head, wanting to go on a nostalgic road trip from Chicago to LA, getting my kicks, before becoming a digital animator for Pixar.

The geographical references were amusing, especially this one:

Cars - the Cozy Cone Motel:


Inside, all the ornaments are little cones: the lights, the picture frames (displaying the Eiffel Tower and Stonehenge, both cone-shaped), the clocks...


Southern California's Wigwam Motel, also off Route 66:


Don't listen to the reviews. Go see the movie.

 
posted by Anna at 4:13 PM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 2:11 AM, Blogger Brian Sibley

    I hate to be a sourpuss...

    And heaven knows, I am a life-long Disney fan -- hey! let's speak the truth here, a FANTATIC! -- and think John Lasseter is a GENIUS and Pixar movies are great...

    BUT...

    I found CARS a good lap-and-a-half TOO LONG... And rather self-indulgent, almost as though it had become impossible to resist EVERY opportunity to show off the brilliance of the (utterly brilliant) animation techniques...

    I also felt that the story was a re-tread of earlier Pixar scenarios: new, cocky car meets tired old car and learns about life, love and friendship... WEll, if you simply substitute 'toy' for 'car', what does that remind you of?

    And finally -- now I'm being a downright grouch! -- I really didn't get the whole concept... I mean, I love anthropomorphic cars (from Susie the Little Blue Coupe to Herbie the Love Bug) but these cars don't live in a world of PEOPLE, but a world of cars... So why do they need doors and seats? Come to that why/how do they EXIST in the first place?

    OK, I'll shut up now... I know when I'm in the wrong...!!

     
  • At 6:38 AM, Blogger Anna

    Oh well, Brian, what can I say! Perhaps I was just in the mood for a good laugh. I'll grant you that the lack of people makes the whole car concept rather redundant; but then, these are cars with eyes and mouths, so we can't be too analytical. Although I'll admit I did wonder how Sally the Porsche had managed to arrange all the little cone-shaped curious inside each motel room without the use of opposable thumbs (but then I just thought I was being pernickety!)